Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are the most popular appetizers I make! Friends ask for them again and again. These are best when baked right before serving, but they do taste great even as they begin to cool. This appetizer recipe also freezes beautifully before baking. Just bake them, while they are still frozen, for about another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- In medium bowl, mix cream cheese and Swiss cheese. Set aside. In heavy skillet, sauté onions, thyme, and pepper in 1/4 cup butter until very soft and beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another 1 minute. Cool 20 minutes. Mix together onion mixture and cheese mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place one sheet filo dough on work surface. Brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top, brush with butter, and put one more sheet on top.
- Take the onion mixture and form a roll about 1 inch in diameter down one long edge of the stacked filo. Roll up carefully and place on cookie sheet. Brush thoroughly with more butter. Repeat with remaining filo and filling, making six rolls total. I place three rolls on each cookie sheet. Cover well with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and remove the rolls from the refrigerator. Bake for 10-17 minutes or until rolls begin to brown and cheese filling melts. Let stand 5 minutes, then, using a very sharp knife, cut rolls into 1" pieces. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve. The onion filling right out of the oven is super-hot. Serves 8-10 - or 4-6, at my parties!
- You can also freeze these rolls. Wrap well in freezer wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To bake frozen rolls, place rolls on cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees F for 15-23 minutes or until the rolls are beginning to brown and crisp and cheese melts. Proceed as directed above.
Wow are these good!! And so easy to do. Great to make ahead of a get together and just throw in the oven a few minutes before serving. Thanks for posting such a tasty, easy and elegant looking appetizer!