Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 lb vidalia onion, sliced and separated into rings (about 2 large)
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Saute onions and mushrooms in butter until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place onions and mushrooms in a lightly greased 8 inch square baking dish.
- Whisk together whipping cream,egg and salt.
- Pour over onion and mushroom mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Add cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake until cheese melts.
I used red onions, this recipe was very good, a nice ''custardy'' sweetness. My family all gave it thumbs up, thanks for posting. =)
This was very good and easy to prepare! It is rather rich, but we enjoyed it! I prepared exactly by the recipe and was very pleased at how it turned out! I used vidalia onions and I like the idea of using red onions as noted by a previous reviewer. Thanks!
I made this for my husbands work Thanksgiving Party, it went together easily and presenatation was good. I thought the flavor was mild (I followed directions adding only a little pepper to taste), but good, my husband thought it was bland, hence the 4 stars. Red pepper flakes or sirracha could be added to spice it up. Since this was one week before Thanksgiving I doubled it and froze the second casserole after baking, before adding the cheese topping and I'll update how it freezes & thaws), I know cream sauces can be problematic, but I'm hoping to make Thanksgiving day easier.