Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful side dish that everyone will love. Very easy
Make and share this Sweet Onion and Mashed Potato Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 sweet onions (I use Vadalia or Maui)
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice onions in rings.
- In skillet melt margarine and put slices of onions in.
- Put on lid and cook, stirring occasionally, making sure all gets brown (usually about 10 minutes).
- Remove from stove and in a bowl mix potatoes and onions.
- Put in 2 qt baking dish and top of with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
My dad loves Vidalia onions and I made this for Father's Day. We all thought it was delicious but he was especially pleased. The onions carmelized well and had extraordinary flavor that was perfect with the mashed potatoes. A nice side dish that would go with many things. Thank you Diggy.
loved the flavor of the caramelized onions in the mashers!! it's this sweet, almost red wine-like flavor! i used roasted garlic instant mashed potatoes and skipped the cheese. made this early in the day, then baked at dinnertime! thanks for posting, this was fantastic!
This was SO unbelievably yummy. I used this on top of Shepherd's Pie (meatloaf Yes, Virginia There is a Great Meatloaf, layered with peas and carrots, then topped with these potatoes). The best Shepherd's Pie EVER.