Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Beautiful, soft onion and cheese filled wheat and potato bun pockets! Very, very good, especially when served warm. Feel free to increase amount of whole wheat flour and decrease amount of all-purpose. Recipe origanally from "Company's Coming Diabetic Cooking". Cooking time includes rising time.
- 250 g part-skim cottage cheese or 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, finely sliced (we use red onion, white onion will work also)
- 1 small potato, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 8 g instant yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp if you buy yeast in bulk)
- 1 egg white, fork-beaten
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine cottage cheese and onion in small bowl, set aside.
- Combine next 5 ingredients in small saucepan; heat and stir on medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat; cool to very warm but not hot.
- Combine whole wheat flour and yeast in large bowl; stir in wet ingredients until thick batter consistancy.
- Add egg white, mix well; add all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until soft dough is formed.
- Turn out and knead on floured surface for about 10 min until smooth and elastic.
- Cover dough in bowl, let dough rest 15 min in oven with light on and door closed.
- Cut dough in half; roll one portion out on lightly floured surface to scant 1/2 inch (12 mm) thickness.
- Cut with three inch (7 cm) round cutter (square cutter should also work); fill middle with 1 tsp cheese mixture; fold over and pinch side like a perogy.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Arrange pockets on 2 large greased baking sheets; cover, let rise in oven with light on and door closed for 40 min until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Makes 24 delicious pockets.