Recipe by 4Susan
From: BREAD MACHINE MAGIC by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway. Recipe is for 1 1/2 Pound Loaf - for 2lb Loaf use amounts in ( ).
Top Review by LillyZackMom
Liked the texture, but found the molasses gave it a very distinct flavor. As a bread and butter bread, this would get 5 stars from me. As a sandwich bread I'd give it 2-3 stars because I don't think the molasses flavor would pair well with meat or mustard. Thanks for sharing!
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats (or 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄4-1 3⁄8 cups water (or 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons molasses (or 1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar (or 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or 2 teaspoons)
- 3 cups bread flour (or 4 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or 2 teaspoons)
Directions See How It's Made
- Use the least amount of liquid listed in the recipe!
- Place all ingredients in bread pan, in the order recommended by your brand of machine.
- Select Basic/Standard and Light Crust settings; Press Start.
- Observe the dough as it kneads; After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff or if your machine sounds as if it's straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.
- After baking, remove from pan and cool for one hour before slicing; great toasted!