Recipe by the80srule
From the Prepared Pantry, up here for safekeeping-- love black rice and its versatilities! The meal suggestion in my inbox was to have this with sweet chili glazed Alaskan salmon with steamed or roasted asparagus. I changed the recipe a bit after making it once, because the first run was pretty bland. Lower the water a bit if you want to omit the raisins.
- 1 1⁄2 cups black rice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (sweet?)
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin, chopped
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat, add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, making sure not to brown the onions.
- Add the orange zest to the onions. Stir in the rice and immerse it in the oil until the rice is hot.
- Stir in the water, add salt and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or until the rice is nearly tender.
- Let rest for a few minutes before fluffing. Add the chopped raisins and walnuts on top and serve.