Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a quick and fancy meal to throw on the table for your family. The addition of store-bought pre cooked chicken strips makes it a meal. . .just add bread and possibly a cup of soup on the side! This is a wonderful lunch to serve for bridal showers and baby showers (the ladies LOVE it and it's easy to please your vegetarian guests by omiting the chicken). It has sweet, tart, tangy, salty and crunchy! This recipe is from Simple & Delicious by Taste of Home, so you know it's delish!
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces and spring greens
- 1 medium ripe pear, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, strips
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (may sub fresh blueberries)
- 1⁄4 cup pecan halves (candied walnuts are also great in this salad)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (I usually decrease this to 2T)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I usually increase this to 2.5T)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar (I use Splenda or Stevia)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional, taste the dressing before you add this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- On four salad plates, arrange the greens, pear, chicken, feta cheese, cranberries and nuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salads.
- Serve immediately.
The combination of ingredients in this salad was wonderful and made a tasty lunch. Next time I might try a more traditional vinaigrette or poppy-seed dressing, as the dressing was the only part that got slightly mixed reviews.
Excellant Salad JB. Lovely flavor and great textures. I just loved it, indeed it was sweet, tart, tangy, salty, citrusy, sharp and delicious. The dressing was very nice, also quick and easy to make. I really enjoyed the addition of the orange rind. It added an extra dimension to the salad. Thanks so much for sharing. Kudos...Kato