Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A healthy and filling salad bolstered by moist chicken pieces and accented by the crunch of apple, this barley dish is lifted to lofty heights by a light, tangy Dijon dressing. Leave the peel on your apple for even more color.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked barley, your choice
- 1 cup cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes, halved (or cherry)
- Whisk ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.
- Combine barley with chicken and dressing and mix to make sure barley is not clumped.
- Add rest of ingredients and toss gently.
- 4 side dish servings.
- 2 main dish servings.
This is a winner! I used a whole box of barley (I think its 6 cups cooked) and added a box of wild rice to it. I adjusted everything else but left out the tomatoes and used 1/2 a large onion. The dressing is wonderful and creamy, not too sweet nor too tangy. I diced a few chicken breasts and boiled them in salted water to cook them. I tossed while the barley was still warm but not hot. Everyone loved this even DH who thought he would hate it. I'm sure this will become a go-to meal for us. I can see where this would be great on a picnic or for a pot luck. Thanks for posting.
I had some leftover chicken so made this lovely recipe. I cooked the barley in vegetable stock to give it a bit of flavour. It was easy to prepare the ingredients and throw it all together quickly. I didn't use a whole tablespoon of sugar, figuring that there was enough sugar in the tomatoes and apples, and plus we don't like things too sweet. I think the dressing would also be nice with balsamic vinegar. Thank you for such a simple recipe (and for a great use for leftover roast chicken), good luck for the competition.