Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here it is folks. This sauce is so universal and can be used in so many different dishes. So far I've made my boyfriend's favorite pepperoni, garlic & basil thin crust pizza, the greatest meatball sub's EVER! and my world's famous refried spaghetti & meatballs (I saw it on Sopranos and had to try it out!) enjoy!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large pot saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground beef and brown until almost done (some pink still).
- Add canned tomatoes, water and red wine.
- bring to a boil and then reduce to a low boil.
- Add seasonings and cheese.
- Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour, up to 3 hours.
- Add more water or wine if too thick or turn up the heat and let boil uncovered to thicken.
- I generally use what I need for the night and let the rest cool and then freeze in sandwich-sized ziplocks for a quick meal.
WOW!!!! Very good, cooked it low and slow for several hours keeping a close eye on it (didn't want to burn it and upset the Supranos.....LOL). Iwould like for you to share the "Refried Spaghetti" with the rest of us if you would please, I for one want to try it as it sounds very intresting. You have several very good recipes, being from New mexico I can spot a "Real" recipe a mile away....Your mama taught you well. Keep posting and thanks for sharing. Lee/NM