Cook1 hr 30 mins
We love to snack on chicken wings and this fruity version - using dried mango - is really good! Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 3 lbs chicken wings, plump (make sure they're halved)
- 1 cup strong black tea (I left the tea bag in for 10 minutes)
- 4 ounces dried mango
- 1 1⁄2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled weight (a 2 inch knob, approximately)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup soya sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like a lot of spice, add more)
- Rehydrate dried mango by placing the pieces in a small bowl with the hot tea and leave until tea has cooled completely.
- Combine all marinade ingredients (including mango and tea) in a mini-processor and blend to make a fairly-smooth puree (it will not be completely smooth).
- Put chicken wings in a large ziploc bag and add marinade. Seal bag and massage marinade into chiciken wings. Refrigerate wings 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Empty chicken wings into a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, turning over after 1 hour and basting with marinade.