Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
These Drums are finger licking good. The flavor is in the barbeque sauce and like most homemade sauces, this one is tastier if used the following day. Allowing the flavors to blend overnight really enhances the flavor. I personally used 1 1/3 cups of the sauce on the drums, feel free to use as much or as little as you desire. Please note: prep time is the time required to make the BBQ Sauce, chilling time is not included.
- 1360.77 g chicken drumsticks
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil (Crisco)
- 236.59 ml sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml sweet green pepper, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, no seeds
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 22.18-29.58 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 118.29 ml ripe mango, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml Heinz ketchup
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 236.59 ml maple syrup
- 78.07 ml orange juice
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 12.32 ml grated orange rind
- 1.23-2.46 ml hot red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- BBQ Sauce: Place a large saucepan on medium-high heat, add the oil, when heated add the onions, shallots, green peppers and jalapeno; season with salt and black pepper, stir often until vegetables are soft and starting to brown.
- Next add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a rapid boil, lower the heat and simmer, (uncovered) for 15 – 20 minutes, or to desired consistency.
- Pour sauce into a container, cool, cover and chill until ready to use, or let cool completely at room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, drain off any fat and cover the chicken with the pre-made bbq sauce and bake for 20 minutes longer.
Aussie Swap #77: WOWZERS!! This BBQ sauce is outstanding!! Made in advance and let sit overnight so the flavors would meld together!! Amazing, full of flavor and juicy chicken!!