Recipe by Baby Kato
These Drums are finger licking good. The flavor is in the barbeque sauce and like most homemade sauces, this one is tastier if used the following day. Allowing the flavors to blend overnight really enhances the flavor. I personally used 1 1/3 cups of the sauce on the drums, feel free to use as much or as little as you desire. Please note: prep time is the time required to make the BBQ Sauce, chilling time is not included.
Top Review by Mom2Rose
Aussie Swap #77: WOWZERS!! This BBQ sauce is outstanding!! Made in advance and let sit overnight so the flavors would meld together!! Amazing, full of flavor and juicy chicken!!
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (Crisco)
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, no seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup ripe mango, finely chopped
- 1 cup Heinz ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- BBQ Sauce: Place a large saucepan on medium-high heat, add the oil, when heated add the onions, shallots, green peppers and jalapeno; season with salt and black pepper, stir often until vegetables are soft and starting to brown.
- Next add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a rapid boil, lower the heat and simmer, (uncovered) for 15 – 20 minutes, or to desired consistency.
- Pour sauce into a container, cool, cover and chill until ready to use, or let cool completely at room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, drain off any fat and cover the chicken with the pre-made bbq sauce and bake for 20 minutes longer.