Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Make a day ahead to allow the flavors to set in the salad. Nice tangy dressing goes well with the different squashes.
- 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup vidalia onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- In a large salad bowl, combine the yellow squash, zucchini, celery, onion, and red pepper.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well.
- Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat well.
- Chill overnight to allow for best flavor.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
I just had a very similar salad yesterday at book group. The only differences are that you use the whole packet of ranch dressing mix, and the sugar is only 1/2 cup, also, in her method she slightly warms the vinegar to dissolve the sugar in it. When cooled, combines with rest of dressing ingred. to pour over salad. This salad is like a big taste of summer on your fork and is a great way to use the bounty of summer squash and zucchini. Love it, Love it!! Thanks for posting.
Our garden is producing so much squash this year that we needed something different. This is great. My husband just loves it. The dressing is great on a tossed salad, too. Thanks for the wonderful recipe