Recipe by HokiesMom
Make a day ahead to allow the flavors to set in the salad. Nice tangy dressing goes well with the different squashes.
Top Review by Hootenanny
I just had a very similar salad yesterday at book group. The only differences are that you use the whole packet of ranch dressing mix, and the sugar is only 1/2 cup, also, in her method she slightly warms the vinegar to dissolve the sugar in it. When cooled, combines with rest of dressing ingred. to pour over salad. This salad is like a big taste of summer on your fork and is a great way to use the bounty of summer squash and zucchini. Love it, Love it!! Thanks for posting.
- 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup vidalia onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large salad bowl, combine the yellow squash, zucchini, celery, onion, and red pepper.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well.
- Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat well.
- Chill overnight to allow for best flavor.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.