Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Put a twist on sweet 'n sour by using Chorizo and Italian Sausages. Guaranteed to take your taste buds on a flavorful rollercoaster ride! E-Z to make, too!
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (Your favorite brand)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (Sweet or Spicy)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium vidalia onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 (12 ounce) can pineapple chunks (DO NOT discard juice!)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (juice from can should be fine)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cook sausages according to instructions. Set aside. (okay to let cool while making sauce).
- Parboil the bell peppers by rinsing them and then placing the wet peppers on a glass plate on high heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, chop peppers into 1/2 in chunks.
- Slice the onion into rings. (Or chop).
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven, large skillet or large sauce pan.
- Add the peppers and onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the ketchup, sugar, pineapples and juice.
- Stir and bring mixture to boil.
- Turn heat down low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- (NOTE: At first mixture will taste more like ketchup. As mixture continues to cook, it will taste more like traditional sweet 'n sour sauce. Patience is a must!).
- ***NOTE: If sauce is still lacking sweet 'n sour flavor, add a little more pineapple juice and a little more brown sugar-- NOT TOO MUCH).
- Chop the sausages into 1/2 inch pieces. Add to sauce.
- Stir and cook for remaining 10 minutes. (NOTE: As sausage reheats, the flavors from the sausage will blend in with the sweet 'n sour sauce, giving it a unique taste.
- Serve over rice. ENJOY!