Recipe by Rhonda *J*
I was having a craving for meatballs over rice and when I went through my usual recipesI was missing one ingredient or another, either pineapple chunks, or green peppers,cranberry sauce, sour cream, jelly, this ingredient or that ingredient...gee I felt like poor old mother hubbarb that day!!!! So I went on the internet in search of a "simpler" recipe...this is what I found and it was very very tasty & easy,and needless to say, great for when you are short on ingredients and due for your next grocery order!!(Actually , even for this recipe,I was out of onions too, which is why I used onion soup mix!!) My hubby even really liked it quite a bit, sometimes less is more! It ended up a keeper that I will make even when I do have a fully stocked kitchen! HA!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped (0r 1 tsp. or so onion soup mix, to your own taste)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine beef, egg, onion, breadcrumbs, salt& pepper (I also added in some garlic powder & parsley).
- Roll into balls 1-1 1/2 inches in size.
- In large skillet saute meatballs over medium heat until browned on all sides.
- In medium bowl, mix together water, vinegar, ketchup, cornstartch,brown sugar& soya sauce.
- Pour over cooked meatballs,allow sauce to thicken, heating just until sauce starts to bubble.
- Serve over white rice.