1/1 Photo of Sweet Mystery Rolls
3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Each "hollow" roll has a gooey cinnamoney-sweet inside! Cooking time includes rising and baking time. From the Elsah Landing cookbook. Please be sure to use a 3-inch round cutter ~ you need the right amount of dough to form the roll ~ and take care to really pinch those edges together, or the mystery filling will escape....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 1 (1/4 ounce) package compressed yeast cake
- 3/4 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1Prepare dough.
- 2Dissolve yeast in water in small bowl- let stand for 5- 10 minutes, or until mixture expands and becomes bubble- set aside.
- 3Combine egg, sugar, shortening and salt with milk in large bowl.
- 4Stir in 1 cup of the flour- then add yeast mixture.
- 5Gradually stir in just enough of the remaining flour to make an easily handled dough.
- 6Turn out on lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic- dust board with more flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
- 7Shape dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl- turn to grease top, cover and let rise in warn, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 8After this first rising, punch down the dough, cover and let rise again for 30 minutes, or until ALMOST doubled in bulk (marshmallows will leak out if the dough rises too much at this stage) dough may be covered and refrigerated at this point if desired.
- 9Turn out on lightly floured board and cut in 1/2.
- 10Roll each 1/2 out to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- 11Cut each 1/2 into 12 3-inch circles- set circles aside.
- 12Now, for the Mystery filling part.
- 13Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.
- 14Grease muffin pans.
- 15Dip each marshmallow in butter then in reserved sugar mixture.
- 16Place one marshmallow in the center of each reserved circle of dough.
- 17Wrap dough tightly around marshmallow, pinching edges together tightly.
- 18Dip again in butter, then sugar mixture.
- 19Place dough in prepared pans, pinched-side-down.
- 20Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 15- 20 minures.
- 21Bake in preheated 375 degerr oven for 25-30 minutes or until rolls are lightly browned.
- 22Remove from pans IMMEDIATELY.
- 23Cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Mystery Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.1
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 164.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 2.7 g