Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am not a curry fan. So here is another recipe I picked up on JustBeans.com which features legumes as the main ingredient. I find the taste of Mung beans to be appetizing and they are easy to work with (I don't mind the extra fiber from their skins). *soaking beans not included in prep time
- 3⁄4 cup mung beans (dry)
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Splenda granular, sugar substitute (or 6 Tbs Sugar)
- Soak beans in water for 5 hours.
- Get rid of green skins, if any, that float to the surface; you might encourage then to come off by rubbing the beans between your hands (recipe allows 10 minutes of prep time for this step); drain.
- Rinse rice three times in water; drain.
- Put rice and beans in a pot.
- Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil for 1 minute; then lower the heat, and let simmer for 1 hours.
- Add sugar (the 6 T called for might not be enough for Western tastes).
- Stir, ladle into soup bowls, and serve warm.