Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've tried alot of recipes for dinner rolls but I always come back to this one. they are just sweet enough and go great with a bit of honey butter
- in a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- add sugar, butter salt and 3 cups flour beat until smooth and add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- turn on to a floured surface knead until smooth and elastix about 6-8 minutes.
- place in a greased bowl cover and let rise until doubled about 1 hour.
- punch down dough turn unto floured surface divide into 16 pieces.
- shape each into a ball.
- place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- cover and let rise about 30 minutes.
- bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
I have been making these rolls for about a year. With some tweaking, we have really enjoyed them. If I follow the recipe exactly the dough is so wet that I can't even get it out of the bowl. So, I usually end up adding at least 1-2 more cups of flour (on top of the 4 cups listed in the recipe). Tonight I looked online for similar rolls and found that others were using almost half the liquid. So, I decided to try to use less milk. This time I used 1 1/4 cups of milk and that really seemed to do the trick. There was no need to add more flour and it made a nice, pliable dough. Depending on the dough texture, I would probably do no less than 1 1/4 cups and no more than 1 1/2 cups of milk. No matter more flour or less milk, I have found that I only need to cook them for 20 minutes max. We have really enjoyed these rolls. They are easy and have such a great flavor. We like to have them as a side or use them to make little shredded chicken or sloppy joe sandwiches. Thank you for posting this recipe!
I made those today and they were awesome ! As one chef advised, i cut down the milk by half and they turned out super delicious. Stuffed them with hotdogs and coleslaw. Yummy !
Ok I am supporting the 5 star claim. This reminds of the dinner rolls from the Betty Crocker cookbook which I cannot find in my boxes! So Thank YOU! btw I did not do many crescent rolls as that took too much time and I was short on time.