Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Rachael Ray Magazine...They say "This soaked sponge cake tastes like custard and bread pudding got together and decided to throw a big ol' party!" Sounds good to me!!
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with 1 cup sugar on low speed until combined, then increase to high and beat until fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup evaporated milk and the vanilla; beat until combined. Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Clean the beaters. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, about 30 seconds. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Working in batches, fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture until just combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 45 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, the sweetened condensed milk and 1 cup cream. Ladle over the cooled cake. Cover and chill until the liquid is absorbed, about 4 hours.
- Beat the remaining 3 cups cream until soft peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the cake and fresh fruit.