2 hrs 30 mins
Drifter Gurl's Note:
This marinara can be thick or thin depending on the length of time you cook it. The sweetness comes from the caramelized root vegetables. All seasoning additions can be adjusted to your taste, or if you don't want to measure you can use a pre packaged spaghetti sauce seasoning pouch!
My Private Note
cups or ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb carrot
- 2 onions
- 8 garlic cloves, roasted is better
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can water
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 4 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopes spaghetti sauce mix, if not using the above 3 ingredients
- salt and pepper, to taste as sauce cooks
- 2 lbs ground sausage (optional) or 2 lbs skinned bratwursts (optional) or 2 lbs ground beef, for a milder taste (optional)
- 1Peel carrots, garlic, and onion.
- 2Chop onion.
- 3Carrots need to be finely chopped or grated.
- 4Mash garlic cloves into salt using large knife blade to make a paste.
- 5Heat large pot on stove with olive oil, caramelize carrots and onions, after the carrots and onions are VERY caramelized and smelling sweet, add garlic, add this last as it can burn easily.
- 6*If using meat in the recipe cook meat while vegetables are caramelizing.
- 7In a separate large bowl pour all crushed tomatoes in puree, and all tomato paste, add in all seasonings.
- 8Swish water through all tomato cans, puree and paste getting out as much of the tomato as possible.
- 9Mix tomatoes, water, and seasonings well. Add to caramelized veggies in pot. Add meat if using meat. Bring to a boil.
- 10Turn heat as low as possible and cover and simmer. Stir often scraping sides and bottom of pot. Simmer 30 minutes to an hour for a thinner spaghetti sauce, or simmer 2 or more hours to make a thick marinara sauce good for dipping bread sticks or Lasagna or manicotti.
- 11Make lots as it freezes well.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Marinara-No Added Sugar
Serving Size: 1 (672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4037.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
spaghetti sauce mix