Recipe by AmandaInOz
From Jams and Preserves. Works best with unwaxed, organic lemons.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
WHAT A NICE RECIPE, & WHAT A GREAT TASTING PRESERVE! I juggled things a little, using just 1 scant red chili (if there is such a thing as a scant one!), 1/2 cup of sultanas & 1/2 cup of golden raisins! I realize the flavors will blend together over time, but my taste-test sampling tells me this is going to be a real treat! Thanks for a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #18]
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 -2 red chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 inches gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 1 cup sultanas or 1 cup golden raisin
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mangoes, chilies, and ginger in a large pan. Add the lemon rind and juice, and stir in the water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar, and heat gently until the sugar has completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes or until a thick consistency is reached.
- Stir in the sultanas and balsamic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, and pour into warm sterilized jars. Seal according to manufacturers directions.