1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is my adaptation of a mango chutney recipe I screwed up because I did the conversions wrong and used waaaaay too much vinegar. I did some experimentation and found that this combination really works. It's also open for substitutions. Cooking time varies because I have a crappy gas stove where it can be hard to tell how high/low the heat is, yours may work more efficiently and can cook faster.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs chopped mangoes (1.5 lbs is an estimate you need 3-4 mangos)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar (rice vinegar works too)
- 1/4 cup juice (mango optimal, orange and apple work well too)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (you know, the kind in the bottle that's part liquid?)
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (any kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger (ground in bottle or grated from fresh gingerroot)
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 teaspoons mustard (seeds or ground)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1Dice the mango into about 1-2" cubes.
- 2Make a paste of the chopped garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp vinegar, and ginger. Put it aside for now.
- 3Place the sugar and cups of vinegars (plus the water and juice) in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the ginger-garlic paste to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the mango, chili powder, nutmeg, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, salt, and gold raisins.
- 6Cook uncovered for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the chutney thicken.
- 7Serve in ramekins with your Indian feast, or seal in airtight glass jars for future use.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Mango Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.8
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1461.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 117.9 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: