1/3 Photos of Sweet Lokshen (Noodle) Kugel
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Here's an absolutely scrumptious sweet noodle or lokshen kugel that's great as a side dish, snack or for breakfast. One of grandmother's best kept secrets. To serve cut the kugel into small squares and enjoy either warm, cold or at room temperature. Note: The nutmeg and cinnamon are to taste (I use half a pinch of nutmeg and about one teaspoon of cinnamon). Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 396.89 g package egg noodles
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3.69 ml vanilla extract
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml sour cream
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 680.38 g cottage cheese
- 453.59 g applesauce (I use cinnamon flavored)
- 236.59 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml melted butter (1 stick)
- 473.18-709.77 ml frosted flakes, crushed (or corn flakes, enough to cover kugel)
- 29.58-44.37 ml melted butter
- 1Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water, according to package directions. Rinse the noodles with cold water and let drain in a colander.
- 2Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla, sugar, sour cream, softened cream cheese, cottage cheese, and applesauce and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
- 3Use a wooden spoon to stir in the drained noodles, nutmeg, cinnamon, raisins, and melted butter, mixing well to coat.
- 4Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. I transfer the kugel to a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any overflow.
- 5Make the topping: in a medium bowl, combine the crushed frosted flakes (or cornflakes) with enough melted butter to moisten. Add a little cinnamon if you like.
- 6Spread evenly over the top of the kugel.
- 7Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for one hour.
- 8Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, checking frequently to make sure top does not burn (cover if top is getting too crispy, and bake until done).
- 9Let kugel cool slightly before cutting into squares to serve. Makes 12-24 servings (depending on size of squares). May be eaten warm, cold, or at room temperature.Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Lokshen (Noodle) Kugel
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.1
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 178.4 mg
- Sodium 440.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 34.9 g
- Protein 16.2 g