Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe from Whole Foods. Their intro says, "The unique crust on this pie, made with crushed pretzels and honey, is the perfect salty-sweet note for its custard-like filling. Use the same crust when you're making chocolate or lemon cream pies, too." Cooking time includes chilling time.
Top Review by mapaklenk
My daughter has been waiting for us to make this pie, and we did for Thanksgiving this year. Unfortunately, no one would eat it after one bite! The crust just doesn't taste good - not sure if it's the honey (which I love, but not in this), or the pretzels (who doesn't like them) - maybe just the combination of the two. Ended up throwing it out, which was a shame, as the custard part was okay and the whipped cream topping turned out well.
- 0.5 (8 ounce) bag pretzel sticks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- confectioners' sugar
- 8 lime slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put pretzels into a blender and blend until fine crumbs form, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a bowl, add butter and 4 teaspoons of the honey and mix until well combined.
- Press crumb mixture into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, leaving a 1/2-inch rim around the top.
- Bake until just crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside to let cool completely.
- Put 1/2 cup water and gelatin into a small pot and set aside for 5 minutes. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, remaining 1/2 cup honey, lime juice and zest.
- Stir warm gelatin mixture into yogurt mixture then pour filling into prepared pie crust.
- Refrigerate until chilled and set, about 3 hours.
- Beat heavy cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Slice pie and serve topped with dollops of whipped cream and lime slices.