1/1 Photo of " Sweet Life" Sweet Potato Focaccia
7 hrs 20 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
This recipe was submitted by Jessie Grearson, of Falmouth, Maine, in the first-ever National Festival of Breads bread-baking competition, sponsored by King Arthur Flour and Kansas Wheat. She was a finalist in the Time-Saving & Easy Breads category. What a knock your socks off bread! I love the use of savory ingredients with sweet potatoes & the use of King Arthur's Italian-style flour (have to order it from King Arthur). This recipe is a winner in my book! Thank you Ms. Jessie!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water (100 to 110 F)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons yeast (Fleischmann's Active Dry)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped fresh
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (Penzey's Italian spice )
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (coarse, Kosher & sea salt fine)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (King Arthur Traditional 100%)
- 1 cup flour (King Arthur Italian‐,,Style)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided (King Arthur)
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1In a medium bowl, stir together warm water, honey & yeast. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2Add olive oil, rosemary, Italian spice, sweet potatoes, salt, ww flour & Italian-style flour. Stir vigorously for about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in enough ap flour to make a soft dough.
- 3Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead in enough of the remaining ap flour to make a workable dough. Knead 5 to 8 minutes. Dough will be sticky but workable. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover. Let rise 1 1/2 hours in a warm place; alternatively cover dough & refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- 4Allow dough to warm at least 30 minutes before shaping. .
- 5Line a 18 x 13 1 inch pan with parchment paper & sprinkle with cornmeal. Gently press dough over the cornmeal dusted paper, stretching dough into a 15 x 11 x 1 inch rectangle. Cover dough & let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 7Dimple the dough vigorously with your fingertips, leaving up to 1/2 inch deep indentations. Sprinkle garlic, rosemary, Asiago cheese, black pepper & cayenne pepper over top. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- 8Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Sweet Life" Sweet Potato Focaccia
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.4
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: