Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
One of my favorite morning treats! Prep time includes rising time.
- 7.08 g package active dry yeast
- 44.37 ml warm water, 110-115 degrees
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml milk
- 59.14 ml butter
- 2 eggs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 709.77-828.06 ml flour, divided
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 85.04 g package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml finely grated lemon peel
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 9.85-14.78 ml milk
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour.
- Beat on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. (*I use butter-flavored crisco for this. But butter might work also.).
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour or so.
- Meanwhile, beat filling ingredients in a mixing bowl until fluffy, set aside.
- Punch dough down when doubled.
- On a floured surface, roll into a 14"-12" rectangle.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. (I use butter-flavored cooking spray).
- Spead filling down center, (center third), of rectangle. (Longways.).
- On each side of filling, cut 1" wide strips, 3" into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal end.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Combine icing ingredients, drizzle over bread.