Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
These flaky scones are a lovely way to start your morning or accompany your tea or coffee at any time of the day.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender blossoms (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sanding sugar (or granulated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups store-bought lemon curd
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk 3 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add butter; rub in with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, zest, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead until dough forms, about 5 turns. Pat into a 10x6" rectangle. Halve dough lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 4 squares. Cut each square diagonally in half into 2 triangles. Divide between baking sheets. Brush scones with 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 13-15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon curd.
wow i love this combo .the lemon and lavender pair perfectly . i got lavender at the mexican store here in town .try this one