1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This dish is being posted for ZWT II & my source is Michael Tracey's "Afri Chef" cookbook. My 1st ZWT, I'm already having such a good time & I found yet another lamb recipe ... this 1 w/fruit! YEA! (Serving size & times were not included & have been estimated, but time doesn't include soaking time for prunes.)
My Private Note
Meat & ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut lamb into 2-3 in pieces. Soak prunes in water for 1-2 hours & remove pits. Peel & core the pear & cut into wedges.
- 2Melt butter in a pan over low heat & add the lamb. Sauté over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add cinnamon, water & sugar & mix well.
- 4Increase heat to mod & cook for approx 45 minutes or till the lamb is tender to a fork. The sauce will become darker.
- 5Drain prunes & add them to the lamb w/the raisins, almonds & pear.
- 6Simmer for a further 15 minutes, remove the pan from heat & stir in the orange blossom water. (See note below).
- 7NOTES: "Normally served at room temp w/rice, salad & bread, this sweet lamb dish is eaten after a dy of fasting during the Muslim holy celebration of Ramadhan. It's cooked w/o salt to prevent thirst the next dy for those fasting -- something that can be important in hot desert areas.".
- 8"Orange blossom water is distilled water containing the essential oils of the orange blossom. It adds a hint of a citrus scent to foods & compliments the flavor. It is used in many lamb dishes, desserts & is perfect for fruit. A little goes a long way, so add it a few drops at a time to determine how much you like. It can be found at farmers markets, specialty food stores & Middle Eastern grocers.".
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Lamb for Ramadhan (El Ham Lahlou - Algeria)
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.3
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 110.5 mg
- Sodium 148.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 39.0 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water