Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This dish is being posted for ZWT II & my source is Michael Tracey's "Afri Chef" cookbook. My 1st ZWT, I'm already having such a good time & I found yet another lamb recipe ... this 1 w/fruit! YEA! (Serving size & times were not included & have been estimated, but time doesn't include soaking time for prunes.)
- Cut lamb into 2-3 in pieces. Soak prunes in water for 1-2 hours & remove pits. Peel & core the pear & cut into wedges.
- Melt butter in a pan over low heat & add the lamb. Sauté over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, water & sugar & mix well.
- Increase heat to mod & cook for approx 45 minutes or till the lamb is tender to a fork. The sauce will become darker.
- Drain prunes & add them to the lamb w/the raisins, almonds & pear.
- Simmer for a further 15 minutes, remove the pan from heat & stir in the orange blossom water. (See note below).
- NOTES: "Normally served at room temp w/rice, salad & bread, this sweet lamb dish is eaten after a dy of fasting during the Muslim holy celebration of Ramadhan. It's cooked w/o salt to prevent thirst the next dy for those fasting -- something that can be important in hot desert areas.".
- "Orange blossom water is distilled water containing the essential oils of the orange blossom. It adds a hint of a citrus scent to foods & compliments the flavor. It is used in many lamb dishes, desserts & is perfect for fruit. A little goes a long way, so add it a few drops at a time to determine how much you like. It can be found at farmers markets, specialty food stores & Middle Eastern grocers.".