Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
Despite the sauerkraut, this recipe makes a sweet dish for sandwiches or on a dinner plate. Great for taking to a covered dish.
- 1 large onion
- 3 lbs kielbasa
- 32 ounces Bavarian-style sweet sauerkraut
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider
- 20 small buns
- Slice onion into thin strips and carmelize.
- Drain and rinse sauerkraut.
- Slice kielbasa into bun-length pieces (4").
- Combine water, cider, and brown sugar.
- Combine all ingredients into a crockpot.
- Cook on high 5-1/2 hrs.
OH SO DELICIOUS!! Not as sweet as I was expecting it to be but that is not a bad thing. I am NOT the cook in our family and this was actually the first meal I ever made for my family and I found it simple to make. I would cook it less than the 5 1/2 hours in the recipe though.