1 hr 30 mins
Sweet Italian Tomato Sauce for Pasta and Pizzas This is a really fresh, light sauce, easy to assemble, and does not need a lot of time on the stove, 1 hour, tops. It's delicious with fresh ravioli, spaghetti, and terrific on pizza crust with your favorite cheese. I use Parmesan or fresh mozzarella. This is a different take on an old friend's Italian grandmother's recipe. It's a favorite in our family, and I've made it in larger quantities for large groups of college students--they really like it a lot! Recipe is easily converted to vegetarian--it's just as delicious without the bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 lb pancetta, diced or 1/2 lb regular bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1In a large sauce pan, cook the pancetta or bacon till crisp. Drain, and save for later.
- 2Reserve about a tablespoon of the pan drippings and add olive oil to the drippings. Add garlic and chopped onion, and saute till soft and transparent.
- 3Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and sprig of rosemary.
- 4Add red and black pepper, salt and pinch of sugar. Add nutmeg.
- 5Let all simmer on low heat for 1/2 to one hour; taste and adjust seasonings. Shortly before serving, add the pancetta or bacon.
- 6Serve over your favorite pasta, or use as a pizza sauce.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Italian Tomato Sauce for Pasta and Pizzas
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.8
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 669.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: