Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
We are Italian and if you go through my recipes you'll find alot of wonderful, quick and easy pasta dishes. We love our pasta and we love garlic, too! Serve this with garlic Texas toast. I can't eat pasta much anymore because I'm diabetic but my husband and daughter love it so I keep making it for them. I usually eat salmon (I have one or two good ones for salmon, too- check them out).
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 lb broccoli floret (I use frozen)
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, cut in bite-size chunks (sweet & mild)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (you can use less if you want)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- Boil the water and cook the penne according to package directions. DO NOT ever add oil to the water! It will make your sauce slide off the pasta later.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil (medium-high heat) in a large skillet and saute the broccoli, sausage and garlic until tender and starting to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss the butter, hot pasta, sausage mixture and romano cheese together and serve. Pass the grated cheese at the table.
Our entire family enjoyed this! I was hesitant that something with so few, simple ingredients could taste so good- but it was! I loved how quickly it came together.
I'm guilty however of what I hate everyone else doing- I made a few adjustments. I added an onion and epicure pizza seasoning. Also, I reserved some pasta liquid to keep it moist. Yum!
Absolutely loved this dish! Everyone had seconds. I used sun dried tomato and pesto sausages because that's what we had in the fridge. This recipe is definitely a keeper and I'll be looking to see what others you've added to this website. Thanks for sharing :)
Made this last night and my family loved it. I did make a few changes, using gluten free penne and adding finely chopped carrots, minced onion, oregano, and kosher salt to cook with the sausage and broccoli (I did cover with lid for a portion of cooking time to soften carrots and broccoli just how we like them). I also used freshley shredded parmesan and added fresh parsley when I tossed together with olive oil instead of butter...FABULOUS. A new family favorite for sure!!