Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This hearty, delicious marinara sauce is infused with flavors from sweet Italian sausage and wine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs sweet Italian sausage, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large dutch oven.
- Add half of italian sausage and saute until golden brown.
- Remove cooked sausage and repeat with remaining sausage.
- Remove all sausage and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to pot. Turn heat to medium low and saute 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and saute until onions develop nice golden color. Stir frequently and WATCH CAREFULLY to make sure the tomato paste doesn't burn.
- Once the onions are golden, add the wine and stir, incorporating all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and browned sausage to pot and stir well.
- Turn heat to medium low and simmer 45 minutes.