Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy to make delicious main course that can be served over pasta or rice.
- 5 link sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large vidalia onion (or other sweet)
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium summer squash
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml celery seed
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 14.79 ml italian seasoning
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil on medium high heat in a large fryig pan.
- Remove sausage from casing and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Peel onion and slice in 1/4 inch slices.
- After heating oil in large fryinng pan, add italian sausage.
- Once the italian sausage is browned, add the onions and garlic.
- Cook until onions are transluccent.
- Add tomatoes, undrained.
- Add all spices and mix thoroughly - taking care not to break up sausage.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to medium low.
- Cover tightly.
- Wash squash
- Slice squash into 1/4 inch slices.
- Remove cover.
- Add squash into sauce and stir lightly.
- Replace cover.
- Turn down burner to low.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve over jasmine rice or pasta.
VERY tasty !! Had just bought several packs of sweet Italian sausages from Costco. "Removing from casing" is a messy deal ! I cut the sausages into 1" pieces, THEN flipped the casing off. Forgot to pick up squash, but had a few bags of frozen red and green pepper pieces in the freezer from last summer's garden -- cut them in strips and added after the onion had softened. Completed per recipe, but had left-over plain risotto, which did very well with the sauce. Have PLENTY more for a pasta night ! Thanks for posting !
I made this for New Kids on the Block and it was absolutely wonderful. Instead of serving over the pasta, I tossed the cooked noodles in with the mixture to coat the noodles with the sauce. I used egg noodles. It was great. That was the only change I made. Will make again.
I intend to cook this soon. I have plenty of vidalia's and the recipe sounds wonderful.