Recipe by ethans-grandma
An easy to make delicious main course that can be served over pasta or rice.
Top Review by NurseJaney
VERY tasty !! Had just bought several packs of sweet Italian sausages from Costco. "Removing from casing" is a messy deal ! I cut the sausages into 1" pieces, THEN flipped the casing off. Forgot to pick up squash, but had a few bags of frozen red and green pepper pieces in the freezer from last summer's garden -- cut them in strips and added after the onion had softened. Completed per recipe, but had left-over plain risotto, which did very well with the sauce. Have PLENTY more for a pasta night ! Thanks for posting !
- 5 links sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large vidalia onion (or other sweet)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium summer squash
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil on medium high heat in a large fryig pan.
- Remove sausage from casing and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Peel onion and slice in 1/4 inch slices.
- After heating oil in large fryinng pan, add italian sausage.
- Once the italian sausage is browned, add the onions and garlic.
- Cook until onions are transluccent.
- Add tomatoes, undrained.
- Add all spices and mix thoroughly - taking care not to break up sausage.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to medium low.
- Cover tightly.
- Wash squash
- Slice squash into 1/4 inch slices.
- Remove cover.
- Add squash into sauce and stir lightly.
- Replace cover.
- Turn down burner to low.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve over jasmine rice or pasta.