Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (Or the real stuff)
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 dash baking soda
- Brown ground beef in a dutch oven.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Add bell pepper, parsley, onion and celery.
- Saute until onion is clear, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
I'm making this for the fourth time today in two months. I tripled the recipe for a small party and there were no leftovers - everyone loves it. This is now a staple in our house. It's hearty and robust for Dad, and not spicy and sweet for Mom. I don't add water since we like our chili thick. I always cook my meat seperately from my onions so I don't have to worry about under/over cooking them. Everything goes in the crockpot once the chili is assembled for at least three hours.
This is our favorite chili. A winter staple. I add mushrooms and extras on the other veggies (tastes great, extra healthy!) I've also made it with ground turkey and found it to be equally good. Thanks for a great recipe!!
Absolutely delicious! Just the right amount of saucy and hearty. Thank you GIngerbear!