Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is a unique, biscuit-like Italian bread flavored with sweet Marsala and studded with dried fruits. Beautiful when served with Mascarpone cheese blended with a bit of confectioner's sugar and a touch of vanilla extract - heaven with coffee! It's unusual, and one of my favorites from the Silver Palate authors.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons marsala
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup diced dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup diced dried fig
- 1⁄3 cup diced dates
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 9x4 inch loaf pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Beat in Marsala, vanilla and salt.
- Toss dried fruits with flour and stir mixture into batter until well-combined.
- Stir in hazelnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 1 hour, until slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, let stand 10 minutes.
- Place on a rack to cool completely.