Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Cooking Light (March 2005). This can easily be made vegetarian or vegan with a few minor adjustments. I am not sure how long the boil in bag rice takes to cook (I use either long grain white or brown rice instead), so the cooking time may need to be adjusted a little.
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bagboil-in-bag long-grain rice (or other rice)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (14 ounce) packagefirm reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- crushed red pepper flakes (dash)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tofu, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Combine broth and the next 7 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add ginger, garlic, and onions to pan; sauté 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add tofu to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring gently to coat.
- Place rice on 4 plates and top with tofu.
This is the first tofu recipe I've attempted to make and I loved it. The sauce was particularly good. My husband said that it was the most tofu he's every eaten. He loved the sauce so much that he's going to use it for stir-fry chicken. I used extra-firm tofu and I wouldn't do that again though. Too chewy for me. I prefer a softer texture. Thanks for sharing!
Great! The picky husband even liked it and asked if we could have it once a week. Gasp! I used a package of cubed super firm tofu, 8 oz. drained weight, and found the amount of sauce to be perfect, though I'd put the servings with this amount of tofu at 2-3. Cubed tofu is a huge timesaver and makes this dish go together in a flash. Served over jasmine rice. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
This is very good, one of my first recipes with tofu and definitely a keeper.