Recipe by ORLiberty
This recipe was created by a woman in McMinnville, OR who won a national "Best Burger" contest hosted by Sutter Home.
Top Review by mbtompkins
This is truly one of the best burgers I have had. My kids love them too! The flavors of cilantro and ginger stand out. I have made this recipe twice. I used 16% fat hamburger, and 1/2 cup thai chili sauce the second time around due to the burgers falling apart otherwise.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons bottled Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 2 lbs freshly ground chuck
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup bottled Thai sweet chili sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup spicy thai kettle chips, placed in a bag and smashed slightly
- 6 potato hamburger buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a medium hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
- To make the mayonnaise, whisk the mayonnaise, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wwrap and set aside.
- To make the salad, whisk the lime juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, sweet chili sauce, ginger, cilantro and basil in a small bowl. Combine the cucumber, red pepper and bean sprouts in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- To make the patties, combine the chuck, salt, sweet chili sauce, green onions and chips in a large bowl, handling as little as possible. Shape into 6 patties to fit the buns. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover and cook, turning one until done to preference. 5-7 minutes on each side for medium. Place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edge of the grill rack to toast lightly during the last 2 minutes of grilling.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a generous amount of the cilantro mayonnaise over the cut sides of the buns. On each bun bottom, place a grilled patty, followed by equal portions of the Thai sallad, add the top bun and serve.
- Makes 6 burgers.