Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sweet and spicy Thai burger recipe was the $50,000 grand prize winner at the 2007 Sutter Home Build a Better Burger Contest and Cook-Off. It was created by Karen Bernards. I'm curious to try it.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Thai Salad Topping
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons bottled Thai sweet chili sauce (like Mae Ploy)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 2 lbs freshly ground chuck
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup bottled Thai sweet chili sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup spicy thai kettle chips, placed in a bag and smashed slightly (or other spicy potato chip)
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- To make the mayonnaise, whisk the mayonnaise, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- To make the salad, whisk the lime juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, sweet chili sauce, ginger, cilantro and basil in a small bowl. Combine the cucumber, red pepper, and bean sprouts in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
- To make the patties, combine the chuck, salt, sweet chili sauce, green onions and chip pieces in a large bowl, handling as little as possible. Shape into 6 patties to fit the buns. Loosely cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover and cook, turning once until done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium. Place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the grill rack to toast lightly during the last 2 minutes of grilling.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a generous amount of the cilantro mayonnaise over the cut sides of the buns. On each bun bottom, place a grilled patty, followed by equal portions of the Thai salad, add the top bun and serve.