Prep 192 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a combination of several recipes, one from my father, one from an old cook book, and my own adjustments
- 6 -7 cucumbers
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- hot pepper (See *)
- Scrub the cucumbers and put them in a crock or some other container and cover with boiling water.
- Let stand for 24 hours.
- Repeat this process for 3 more days.
- (Total of 4 days).
- On the 5th day, remove the cucumbers, rinse well in cold water and cut them into chunks.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and the spices (tied in cheesecloth) and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the sliced cucumbers.
- Let stand 24 hours.
- On the 6th day drain the syrup back into a saucepan, bring to a boil, (along with the spicebag) and pour again over the cucumbers.
- Let stand another 24 hours.
- On the 7th day drain the syrup again, bring to boil and pour over the cucumbers.
- On the 8th and final day, drain the syrup, bring to a boil.
- Put the pickles into hot sterilized pint jars along with a piece of hot pepper, and pour the boiling hot syrup over.
- Process in a boiling water bath for ten minutes.
- *Usecayenne peppers, or whatever fresh hot peppers you may have.
- Be careful though to not add too much, as pickles may be too hot.
- These are also excellent without the hot peppers.