Prep 48 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is the result of playing around with several different recipes after trying and falling in love with a commercial brand of sweet hot pickles. If you don't want hot pickles, just omit the pepper and you will have something close to a real crispy bread and butter pickle. After opening a jar, remove the pepper as the pickles will keep getting hotter. You could experiment with a different kind of pepper however we tried jalapeno and the taste was not the same and was a little weird, to us anyway!
- 7 lbs washed and sliced cucumbers
- 1 3⁄4 cups pickling lime
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 9 cups white vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 6 -8 habanero peppers
- Place sliced cucumbers in 1 gallon cold water and mix in 1 3/4 cups pickling lime. Refrigerate overnight. Next day, rinse 3-4 times until water is clear. Soak 3-4 hours in ice water then drain.
- Using 3-4 layers of cheesecloth, make a spice bag with the pickling spice and celery seed, tie bag well.
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, spice bag and salt to a boil. Add cucumber slices and boil 30-40 minutes until cucumbers are mostly clear. Remove spice bag.
- Pack cucumbers and syrup into hot, sterilized jars. If using peppers, add 1 pepper to each jar. Adjust lids and bands. Put into enough boiling water to cover jars and boil for 15 minutes. Make sure jars seal.