Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I needed another way to use up the hot banana peppers and cucumbers I picked out of my garden. Got surfing the net for something and found this recipe. I had to fix it to our taste. I'm posting how I made my relish.
- 1 quart hot banana pepper, chopped finely
- 1 1⁄2 quarts cucumbers, chopped finely
- 2 large onions, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup canning salt
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 5 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons pickling spices
- Combine peppers, cucumbers, onion, and the 1/4 cup + 2 tbs canning salt in a large glass or ceramic bowl, cover with cold water and let stand for 2 hours. Drain thoroughly, pressing on the vegetables to remove excess liquid.
- Combine the sugar and vinegar in a large pot, tie the pickling spices in cheesecloth and add to the liquid. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove spice bag. Pack into hot jars and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
I made this last night and it was great. This is like Jalapeno Pickle Relish except for the ratio of peppers to cucumbers. Loved the taste. Thanks for sharing.