Recipe by Hey Jude
I found this wonderful recipe in the Chicago Tribune years ago but it's actually a winning recipe in the 'Jones Dairy Farm annual Best Recipes of America's Bed and Breakfast Inns roundup. The contestant was the Shore House at Lake Tahoe in Tahoe Vista, California. Serve these with fresh fruit.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
In spite of the fact that I did make this recipe as written, I still prefer my Monte Cristos with a strawberry spread! Still, these were a nice change of pace & we enjoyed the use of muenster cheese along with Canadian bacon! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Lunchtime Sandwich theme in My-3-Chefs]
- 2 -4 teaspoons sweet-hot mustard
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices muenster cheese, about 3/4 oz. each
- 6 slices Canadian bacon or 6 slices lean ham
- 8 -12 slices thin apples (granny smiths are good in this)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons maple syrup
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread mustard evenly over 1 side of 4 bread slices.
- Layer each slice with cheese, Canadian bacon, apple slices and remaining bread slice.
- Beat eggs and milk in a pie plate; dip each sandwich in egg mixture, soaking until bread is moistened.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add sandwiches; cook, turning once, until golden and thoroughly heated.
- Cut into halves or quarters; drizzle lightly with maple syrup; dust with confectioners' syrup and serve.