1/1 Photo of Sweet Heat Chili in a Bag #A1
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry: I incorporated one of my favorite dishes, chili, into puff pastry. It's like a chili pot pie. The heat of the chili is balanced nicely with the delicious A1 sauce and the sweet mission figs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2/3 cup fresh corn
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried mission figs, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock, for deglazing the pan
- 15 ounces pinto beans in chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra A.1. Original Sauce, for garnishing dish
- 8 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 17 ounces puff pastry sheets, defrosted if frozen, and cut into four peices
- cooking spray (optional)
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream, divided (to pass at the table)
- 1Add one tablespoon of the oil to a soup pot and heat over medium heat.
- 2Once the oil is hot, add the corn, the onions, garlic, habanero, bell pepper, and mission figs. Cook until softened, about three minutes, and then remove from the pan.
- 3Add remaining oil to pan.
- 4Add the ground turkey and brown, about five minutes.
- 5Add the vegetable mixture back to the pan with the ground turkey.
- 6Add the fresh ground pepper.
- 7Deglaze the turkey with the chicken stock, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 8Add the beans with juice from can, A.1. sauce, tomato sauce and the brown sugar. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, about 25 minutes. Cover but stir as needed.
- 9Cut puff pastry sheets into four pieces.
- 10Spray bottom of soup or chili bowels with cooking spray.
- 11Roll the puff pastry out with a rolling pin and form the puff pastry into the bowls.
- 12Spoon in equal parts of the chili.
- 13Twist the top of the puff pastry to create a seal. Be as creative as you want with the twist.
- 14Brush pastry "bags" with the egg wash.
- 15Cook the puff pastry according to the package directions (10 - 15 minutes). Adjust cooking time accordingly for your oven until you get the level of brown that you want.
- 16Serve with cilantro and sour cream if using.
- 17Drizzle with extra A,1. sauce.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Heat Chili in a Bag #A1
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1063.7
- Calories from Fat 618
- Total Fat 68.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 86.0 mg
- Sodium 723.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 35.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pinto beans in chili sauce
A.1. Original Sauce
A.1. Original Sauce