Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry: I incorporated one of my favorite dishes, chili, into puff pastry. It's like a chili pot pie. The heat of the chili is balanced nicely with the delicious A1 sauce and the sweet mission figs.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2⁄3 cup fresh corn
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried mission figs, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock, for deglazing the pan
- 15 ounces pinto beans in chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra A.1. Original Sauce, for garnishing dish
- 8 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 17 ounces puff pastry sheets, defrosted if frozen, and cut into four peices
- cooking spray (optional)
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream, divided (to pass at the table)
- Add one tablespoon of the oil to a soup pot and heat over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the corn, the onions, garlic, habanero, bell pepper, and mission figs. Cook until softened, about three minutes, and then remove from the pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan.
- Add the ground turkey and brown, about five minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture back to the pan with the ground turkey.
- Add the fresh ground pepper.
- Deglaze the turkey with the chicken stock, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beans with juice from can, A.1. sauce, tomato sauce and the brown sugar. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, about 25 minutes. Cover but stir as needed.
- Cut puff pastry sheets into four pieces.
- Spray bottom of soup or chili bowels with cooking spray.
- Roll the puff pastry out with a rolling pin and form the puff pastry into the bowls.
- Spoon in equal parts of the chili.
- Twist the top of the puff pastry to create a seal. Be as creative as you want with the twist.
- Brush pastry "bags" with the egg wash.
- Cook the puff pastry according to the package directions (10 - 15 minutes). Adjust cooking time accordingly for your oven until you get the level of brown that you want.
- Serve with cilantro and sour cream if using.
- Drizzle with extra A,1. sauce.