Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If the loaf browns too much during baking, cover it with foil. Cook time includes standing time. From Easy to Bake, Easy to Make.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 large eggs, divided
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add water, milk, butter, honey and 2 eggs. Mix very well, adding more flour if necessary, until a soft dough forms.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until it's smooth and stretchy, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl (I use the one I mixed everything in). Cover and let it rise in a warm place until it's doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Grease baking sheet. Punch down dough. Shape dough int oa ball. Place on baking sheet. Cover; let rise until doubled in size, 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl until smooth.
- Uncover the loaf and brush it with the egg. Bake the bread until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Place on a wire reack to cool.
This bread came out perfect on the first try. I only wish I had taken a picture of our braided loaf to add to the site. It wasn't too sweet, and came out a nice full loaf. I will make this bread again.
from sue thabks for posting
Fantastic recipe, although being new to bread making, I wasn't sure what to expect! The dough will be very loose, soft, and sticky for those who do not know, and since it is a heavyish bread don't ball it too tight when you put it in the oven (I needed to cook it longer and gave it a crispier bottom for my trouble). Otherwise, very easy to follow, very tasty, I live in a house with 19 other people who all got to havea taste, so a big 20 thumbs up!