Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
A sweet and spicy chicken adaptation from Three Guys From Miami.
Make and share this Sweet Guava Grilled Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium limes, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder, chipotle chili powder or 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut-up
- salt, pepper and cumin for seasoning, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup guava jelly
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Mix lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic together. Pour over chicken in a ziploc freezer bag. Force out the excess air and message to coat chicken pieces. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Discard marinade. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Season the chicken with additional salt, pepper and a little extra cumin.
- Heat up the burners on a gas grill or light charcoal briquettes to preheat the grilling surface. Grill the chicken over medium heat using an indirect heating method to avoid flare-ups. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, turning occasionally until chicken begins to brown.
- For the glaze, mix guava jelly, apple juice, lemon juice and brown sugar in a 1-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently until glaze thickens and reduces somewhat, about 5 to 10 minutes; remove from heat.
- Brush chicken with glaze mixture frequently during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Once glazed, keep a close eye on the chicken because sugar burns easily and tastes terrible.