Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Can't wait til I have tomatoes! Adapted from Southern Living Feel Good Food
- 2 cups green tomatoes (seeded, diced, about 3/4 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 eggs
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped, fresh
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Saute tomatoes and 2 Tbs. sugar in 2 Tbs. butter in large skillet over medium-high heat 10 to 12 minutes or until tomatoes begin turn light brown.
- Stir cornmeal mix, zest and remaining sugar together in large bowl.
- Make well in center.
- Whisk eggs, sour cream, and remaining butter.
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in tomatoes.
- Either coat wells in muffin tin with spray or fill wells with cupcake papers.
- Fill wells/papers 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. for 15 - 17 minutes. Test with toothpick.
- While baking, mix butter with basil. Serve with warm or cooled muffins.
Totally fantastic! Crunchy outside, sweet lemony flavor inside. The basil butter tastes even better the longer it sits.