Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I had a few ingredients left in the refrigerator that neeeded clearing out....This recipe was the result of that. It was so good my husband told me to write it down immediately. Here goes...
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, cubed 1-inchX1-inch
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 2 cups pumpkin flesh, shredded
- 2 cups turnips, diced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced 1/4-inch coins
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 orange, Juice of
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 cups sliced frozen green beans or 2 cups peas
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, minced
- salt and pepper
- In large stock pot, render fat from bacon -cooking on med low - remove bacon from pot using slotted spoon, set aside. Brown Pork in bacon fat in small batches, remove pork from pot using slotted spoon.
- Pour off excessive drippings from pot (leaving some for deglazing). Add Onion, Garlic, and Ginger. Saute. Once onions have started to brown stir in Pumpkin, turnip ,Carrots. Pour in 1/2 beef stock to finish deglazing pot. Stir well.
- Add remainder of Beef stock, Brown sugar, Honey, nutmeg, cardemom, Bayleaves, Orange zest, and the juice of an orange. Allow to simmer on low covered for 1 hour. stirring occaisionally.
- Add Potatoes. Allow to simmer for an additional 1/2 hour.
- Stir in Sliced green beans or peas, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Because I personally don't like mushy beans or peas I turn off the stew here. But you may cook for an additional 15 minutes.