1/1 Photo of Sweet Gherkins
This recipe is on several internet sites so not sure who really to give credit to but did not see anything like it on Zaar. I looked at it and thought "Oh Brother" but it was worth it. Really it was! Super little sweet crunchy gherkins!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 quarts cucumbers (Pickling cucumbers 1 1/2 to 3 Inch long)
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 8 cups granulated sugar (divided through recipe)
- 6 cups distilled white vinegar (divided through recipe)
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 8 pieces cinnamon sticks (1 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed (Optional but good)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional but good)
- 1Wash cucumbers, blossom, ends removed. Use the littlest ones you can find!
- 2FIRST DAY:
- 3In the afternoon, place cucumbers in large bowl and cover with boiling water; let stand 6 hours or overnight.
- 4SECOND DAY:.
- 5In the morning, drain cucumbers and cover with fresh boiling water. Let stand 6 hours.
- 6In the afternoon, drain cucumbers; add salt; cover with fresh boiling water.
- 7THIRD DAY:.
- 8In the morning, drain cucumbers; prick with fork. Combine 3 cups of the sugar, 3 cups of the vinegar, herbs, and spices (except vanilla extract) in a pan. Heat to the boiling point and pour over cucumbers.
- 9In the afternoon, drain syrup mixture into a large pan; add 2 cups of the sugar and 2 more cups of the vinegar. Heat to boiling and pour over cucumbers. Cover and let stand.
- 10FOURTH DAY:.
- 11In the morning, drain syrup mixture into a large pan; add 2 cups of the sugar and 1 cup of the vinegar. Heat to boiling and pour over pickles.
- 12In the afternoon, prepare jars. Drain syrup mixture off pickles into large pan; add remaining 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract (if using) to syrup; heat to boiling. Pack pickles into clean, hot jars. cover with hot syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space; seal. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Gherkins
Serving Size: 1 (5273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.1
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8095.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 239.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 233.5 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: