Prep 15 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This is from The Totally Garlic Cookbook, via DIY network. So easy and so good! The size of the pickling spice is estimated.
- Slice the pickles any way you want to and place in a large bowl.
- Add the spices, garlic and sugar.
- Make sure you stir it well.
- It may be a little difficult to stir at first, but make sure you stir the bottom good.
- Stir it once a day for three days.
- Pack the sterilized canning jars with as many pickles as you like.
- Fill the jars with the sweet, spicy liquid.
- Leave in the garlic cloves to make sure the pickles reach their full potential.
- Wipe the jars with a damp towel.
- Twist on the lid and they are ready to store.
- Serving the pickles chilled will keep them nice and crisp.
- These pickles make a nice gift.
- Try putting them in a basket with other garlic favorites like garlic mustard, garlic chips, garlic oil, etc.
This is an interesting combination of flavors and very closely resembles a memory from my childhood. I did add a couple of medium-hot dried red peppers to the mix during the standing time. I bought whole dills which I cut in half lengthwise. The recipe does not call for processing in a water bath so I opted to store them in the refrigerator. They are at there best when very well chilled. Thanks for this interesting recipe.